Thursday 31 December 2009

New Year's Eve, and a pair of over-square trousers

We're just back home after a very long break in Finistere, Brittany. Plenty of tales from France in future blogs, but today's posting is about a pair of over-square trousers. As a younger man my trousers were 28 inch waist, and we used to laugh at our house-share pal, the stocky Phil, because he had square trousers, ie his waist measurement was the same as his inside leg.

The photo is a clock on the citadel at Concarneau, with various messages about the passage of time. And, over time, my waistband has expanded. Some of it's emotional eating, but mainly it's greed and gluttony, and less exercise. A few weeks in Brittany dairy central, testing local produce, has given me a single-pack barrel belly, made of Breton butter, beer, baguettes and frites. (I was, of course, slim and svelte before I left for France.)

I'm back at work next week, and last month I split two pairs of work trousers cycling home from the office. So today I popped into town and bought for work my largest ever trousers, 38 inch waist, and they fit a treat. And my project for 2010? To get into 30/30 square trousers again.

1 comment:

  1. Hullo Swifty,

    Thanks for the message. Welcome back and Happy New Year to you and yours.

    Looking forward to catching up with the French adventures.

    awra best!

    Al.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails